Thank you for your interest in volunteering! Volunteers are an essential part of the community, and help out with every aspect of our programming and operations, including (but certainly not limited to):
- Anthology production
- Community readings
- Weekday office shifts
- Evening office shifts
- Event support
- Tabling at community events
- Workshop support (including scribing and childcare)
- Facilitating writing workshops (requires a separate application process; see below for more info)
Once you’ve submitted your application, our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to schedule an orientation date.
Becoming a Workshop Facilitator
Please note: workshop facilitators must submit a separate application, complete a 27-hour training requirement, and pass a background check in order to facilitate a Write Around Portland writing workshop. Facilitators must be 18 or older.
We are accepting applications for summer 2023 facilitator training through June 21, 2023. Training will take place through the month of August.
Our volunteer workshop facilitators help to build community through writing with workshop participants around town. We are seeking applicants who believe in Write Around Portland’s mission, share our values, and reflect the full diversity of our community. You do not need to be a professional writer or have extensive experience to be a facilitator!
Here are a few qualities and characteristics we look for in facilitators:
- warmth, friendliness and genuine interest in the well-being of others
- flexibility and ability to adapt to changing needs or circumstances
- ability to adapt to groups’ and individuals’ changing moods, energies, and needs while maintaining professional boundaries and within the construct of the Write Around Portland workshop model
- openness and ability to work respectfully with new people and people with diverse backgrounds, health statuses, income and education levels, experiencing isolation, or those who may otherwise face barriers to writing in community
- ability to meet deadlines, turn in paperwork, and follow through on commitments
View the application for much more info on the workshop facilitator role and requirements. If you are interested in becoming a facilitator, please complete the application, and our volunteer coordinator will be in touch with additional information. People of color, Spanish speakers, people living with a disability or people who have lived or are living on a lower income are encouraged to apply.
Questions about any of the above? Please contact us call our office at 503-796-9224. We look forward to working with you!